Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Real or Fantasy?

During these last couple of weeks I have been watching a series entitled "Heroes". It is really a great television series and watching it has brought a question to my mind. Are there really people out in the world with special abilities? I do not necessarily mean that some people can fly or walk through walls or have x-ray vision, but I mean they have special abilities that very few people possess.

We have people in the world who are geniuses when it comes to numbers, or figuring out algorithms or mathematical formulas. We have some who are child prodigies who can play Mozart and Beethoven at the age of two. There are people who can look at something that is in pieces and know exactly how to put it back together without even needing an instruction manual, because in their mind's eye they know exactly what to do and how it is supposed to be placed back together.

Here is my bigger question though, what about the special abilities that no one believes in? For instance, what if someone could dream something about the future? What if someone can look at a picture and know something about the person or the place in the picture without even knowing the person or the place? What about a person who can look someone deep in the eyes and know exactly what they are thinking at that very moment? What about someone who can pass by a person, bump into them (on accident or on purpose) and know something good or bad about that person by just a mere touch? -as if a energy wave has passed from one body to another- Not many people believe that these things are true but what if they are? What if there really are these kind of people out in the world who have these abilities? They can't talk to the dead, they are not fortune tellers, they can just do things that not many people can do. What is your opinion? Are there really these type of people out in the world, or is it all just comic book fiction?

In Bible times God gave certain people the ability to prophecy. He gave certain people the ability to interpret dreams. Does He still enable people to have those kinds of abilities or is it something of the past, meant only for the past? I understand that now we have the Bible to live by and use as a guideline for our lives but would He stop giving those abilities just because we have the Bible? I have heard some say people don't have those abilities anymore because we have God. Meaning, we can go straight to Him in prayer for answers or whatever the case may be. Here is my thought though, we had that same opportunity then too. Yes, it was a little different because at the time we had to have blood sacrifices, but we still prayed to God. Even though we could pray to Him he still had people prophecy or interpret dreams. After Jesus came and died and became the sacrifice for us did it all stop? Did God quit allowing people to have these abilities or is it still around?

We have all heard of premonitions. What would one consider that to be? A once in a life time thing when something is about to go horribly wrong?

What about the idea of Guardian angels? I really have studied this out and personally believe that God gives each child his or her Guardian angel until they no longer need their Angel's protection.

This is the question I pose to you: The supposed abilities some may have; is it a gift from God or
a comic book fantasy? Tell me what you think.


Until next time,


ActionJacksontheAngloSaxon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to think about this one and get back to you. I can tell you I don't believe in fortune tellers or psycics but maybe God has given special people special features, but let me think about this more into detail and I'll leave another comment.

Anonymous said...

Here is what i think. All gifts are from above. Althouth scientist have tried to explain why a man can lift a flipped over car to save his family, this is still "impossiable." At some point God decided to give a man amazing power. There are other times when someone has a bad feeling about a place and decides not to go there, then find out that someone was murder there. God decided to let that person "feel bad." God gives man "gifts" to help manking through the journey of life. I do believe that people are given extraordinary abilities so that they can do the impossiable proving that science is not 100% truth and there are some unexplainable things that are proves that God controls the universe. I'll leave you with this verse, James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights."

Anonymous said...

Well special gifts people have are defeniatly from God but some people choose to use them for God while other choose to use them for the devil now I don't really believe in psycics or anything like that but I think God tells people stuff that will happen in the near future through dreams but its more like you dream it and then it happen sort of like deja vu. Anyways I am not very good at leaving my oppinion on stuff but that was a very good blog I enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'll probably leave another comment, but I do have this to say.

I think that we still have the gifts from God, but I think that we are so out of touch with Him that he cannot use them as effectively.

Also, you mentioned what sounded like...supernatural abilities. I personally think that they are real. I have experienced both deja vu and I've had a revelation of the future warning me about something that was to come. I have also spoken with several others about this very thing and one of them, or so he says and I believe him, that when he was younger, he would frequently experience deja vu.

And finally, as far as the Bible is concerned, I don't believe that it says anywhere that we no longer have those spiritual gifts. I think as humans we don't understand them and in our ignorance we conclude that they are no longer real or necessary, however I disagree as my second paragraph stated.

I think that God gives many individuals very special gifts, but they are content with living mediocre lives and won't ever understand them.

Anonymous said...

Well, Jac, I think you are a much deeper thinker than I. I have never really given alot of thought at all to that kind of stuff. But it seems like there would almost have to be people who have some type of "extra-special" something. And if there are, then I would definitely have to agree with most here who have said that any gift like that would have come from God. But, I also agree that there are people out there who don't always use the gifts given to them (by God) for good. And THAT is not a good thing!! But that would go for most any "gift" in our lives...talent, money, whatever.....when we don't use it for God, then it is not worth a whole lot, now is it?