Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A New Chapter of Life and the Flowers

Well, it has been a few weeks since I have last posted a blog but here I am again to write a new one.
I am officially graduated now and beginning a new chapter of my life. The novel of my life is being written and this may be one of the longest chapters which are to be read. I took my last final this morning in Psychology and will have a few weeks break before I begin taking summer classes in June. Getting ready for graduation and everything that goes along with it over the last couple weeks has caused me to kind of reminisce over my years and years of schooling.
As many of you know I was homeschooled from the very beginning (except for a week of Italian pre-school) I remember wondering sometimes what it would be like if I went to a real school with a real classroom and classmates. Looking back on it now, I am glad I didn't. Taking classes at Rose State College has made me realize alot of what my parents were trying to protect me from by keeping me home. Too much drama for me!
The saying goes "Time is like an hour glass. The sand seems to run out way too fast." This saying is so true. I can remember starting first grade and thinking to myself, "I can't believe I am gonna have to do 13 years of school before I can be a grown-up!" Now I look back and think, "Gee, what happened to the time? Wasn't it just yesterday I was mad about having to learn my times tables?" Now I am graduated and looking ahead, wishing life would stop giving me a few smacks.
I am not sure what this new chapter of life will hold for me. I don't know what is going to happen and to be quite honest, I don't really have a set plan. I know I am going to go to school and get a degree. I am going to be someone in the medical field, but beyond that I really have no idea. Someone the other day gave me some really good advice. He said, "Once you start running in life these next few years, with your head down trying to reach that goal...just remember to look up and smell the flowers as you pass by." What he said made me think.
For my graduation alot of my family came to support me. They were here for about 5 days and I was hardly home during the time they were here. I always had somewhere else I had to be. Later in the week when I was told, "...remember to look up and smell the flowers..." I realized I was already starting my new chapter on a bit of a rough start. Although, I was stopping to smell the flowers, I was not taking the time to appreciate them.
I think this is going to be something I will struggle with-stopping and smelling the flowers-. I am the type of person that once I have a goal in mind set, I won't stop what I am doing until I have reached that goal.
My hope now is not only to be successful in this new chapter of life but also to take the time and remember to stop and smell the flowers God has placed for me along the path He has chosen for me.


Until next time,
ActionJacksontheAngloSaxon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
Life is so busy once you grow up. The older you get the busier it gets. I was just sitting here remembering when I was married and Matthew was a baby. I would have the house spic and span, dinner ready, and I always felt like I had so much time and not enough things to do. Not so anymore. I haven't felt like that in many, many years! Remember that you need to do what is your priority. There are so many things in your life and what you will do is what is most important to you. Flowers brighten our days with their beauty. Don't forget to pause and inhale their frangrance in your busy life!

Mrs Miller