Sunday, May 1, 2011

Worship

It has been a while since I last posted a blog yet here I am with so much on my mind I hope it makes sense once it comes out.

This morning I attended a church I have been going to for a while now off and on. I am in a weird transitioning stage in my life so I am not really a full-fledged member at any specific church yet but I know what God is wanting me to do. I am just waiting for the right timing. Anyway... I was sitting in the worship service praising God and listening to the music. The worship team had been playing for a good thirty minutes when the pastor stood up and said,"Wait a minute. I want to start this all over again. There is a spirit of complacency here. We are here to worship God. It's not about an hour of song and an hour of preaching; it's not about order. It's about allowing the Spirit of God to move in us and truly worship Him." After saying a few more things he sat back down and the worship team continued. It was as if that complacency that was over the whole building lifted; As if the rainy weather was not a set back any longer. You could feel the whole atmosphere of the auditorium change.
I was moved to tears as I began to watch as people shifted their hearts and minds towards God and began to worship sincerely. People all around the room lifted their hands in praise. What moved me the most was a little girl around the age of 9 who stepped out of the aisle she was in and began twirling around and dancing. The dance was a soft slow dance with such grace and elegance. She had her hands raised, her head lifted, and her eyes closed. I couldn't stop watching her. In that moment she was the only one there. She was dancing for her Father. She was worshipping Him. It was intimate. It was beautiful.
In the same aisle as me a woman walked to the front where the team was playing, took a microphone, and began singing harmony to the song. She poured out her heart and soul to the Maker of the universe. She claimed she wouldn't settle for what is, but would always push for something more with her God. You could see plainly the words she was saying, she wasn't saying for the crowd to hear but she spoke them to the One who loves her more than she'll ever know.

Watching all of this I began to wonder. When did all of this type of worship stop in our churches? What causes us to stop short when we want to lift our hands in praise? Does it not say in the Bible we are to lift our hands in worship? Why do we no longer dance like David did to our God? Is it a fear of what people around us think? That people will laugh at us or stare and point? Is it frowned upon in the church? Why can't we run around when we get so excited about the freedom God has to offer? Do you ever get excited in church and feel held back?

God gave us the ability to worship! He created us to worship Him. When we don't worship Him we are not doing what we were created for. I realize some people worship quietly and that's okay. But what about when the pressure is so great we can't contain our worship and it begins spilling over? We can't hold back because of what people around us are doing or not doing. When we worship, that is between us and the One we worship.

The point to this whole blog is this. If you want to raise your hands, raise your hands. If you want to dance, dance. If you want to run, skip, and jump, do it! No one is stopping you. You were created for that purpose. Don't be afraid of it.

Until next time,
ActionJacksontheAngloSaxon

No comments: