Friday, May 20, 2011

Popping the Question

I thought things would start to settle down and I am still waiting for them too. From the looks of it I don't think they will so I set aside some time right now to tell this story...

Josh and I have known each other since we were about 16. At 17 we became friends after hanging out at our homeschool group's first Spring Formal. We did not really talk very often. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact we were both trying to find our way in life and had different things going on at that point in time.
A year later at the second Spring Formal we got to talk more and got to know each other better. It was then that I kind of got a crush on him. I knew the timing was not right and I did not know if he actually felt the same way. I let it go and figured if it was supposed to happen it would and I would leave it at that.
Our friendship grew over the next couple years. We were talking more and my family moved closer to his part of town so we were able to hang out more often too. I still didn't know if he liked me like I liked him or not. I wanted to know if all we were going to be were friends or if this friendship would carry on to something farther. Little did I know, he was thinking the exact same thing. I think we were both tired of dancing.
One night he asked me to go out to dinner with him and some friends of his and then go see a movie after. I was super excited because I would be spending my evening with this cool, sweet, amazing guy who I was falling for fast. He came to my house and picked me up for dinner. As we got in the truck and were driving away he said, "My friends aren't able to come to dinner. Something came up, but they said they'd meet up for the movie". I thought,"This is kinda like a real date...I wonder if he planned this..." He didn't but I liked the thought that maybe he did. It worked out quite well though. All through dinner I could tell his mind was preoccupied but I figured he just thought it was awkward to be out to dinner alone with me.
We got to his friend's house and I started to get out of the truck. He reached over, closed the door back real quick, and said,"Hang on a second". Two seconds later he asked me to be his girlfriend and I was so relieved! I wasn't sure if he would actually ever ask and that nervous feeling of whether we were just going to be friends or something more was over. We've been dating now for almost a year.
May 2, 2011 was our ten month anniversary. He was out on a job site all day and I was at school and work. I knew we wouldn't be able to see each other probably 'til a few days later because of his work schedule and his days off. I was not feeling good at all that night and had talked to him just a few hours before telling him I felt horrible. He seemed kind of down but I figured it was because I didn't really feel like talking at that point in time. I hung up with him and about ten minutes later my dad's cell phone went off. He said,"Hello, Josh..." and walked out of the room. I started freaking out a little bit because I thought it was weird my Josh would call my dad at 9 something at night. Still not feeling too hot I grabbed a blanket and curled up on the couch to watch a movie with my family. Around 11:30 my dad gets up to let the dog out. He is outside for a while and when he comes back in Josh walks through my living room! It scares me half to death because I knew he was supposed to be in Burnsflat sleeping after only sleeping for about an hour in the last day and a half. I hid under my blanket and kept doing double takes trying to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. I knew I was sick but I didn't think I was that sick. I peak out from under my blanket again and he is kneeling in front of the couch and he said,"I wanted to be here for our anniversary. I love you. I have this ring. Would you marry me?". I was shocked beyond belief. I still couldn't figure out how he was in my living room when he was sleeping 2 hours away. I said yes and it has been a whirlwind ever since.
It's crazy to think I am actually engaged now and we can really begin planning a life together. This is something I only dreamed about for so many years of my life. After that initial shock of him being there and asking me to marry him we were down by his truck and I told him,"You know those engagement pictures aren't gonna look too great. With me wearing shorts and this baggy T-shirt...and my hair in a mess...". He look at me and said,"This is who I love. I love you. Not what you wear or how you look but what's inside...those other things are just a perk". I love him for that. He loves me for me. He loves me at my worst and loves me at my best. God has blessed me greatly with Josh and He continues to lead and bless both of us.
This is a whole new chapter of my life and I am ready for these next couple months to come. It will definitely be a journey!

Until next time,
ActionJacksontheAngloSaxon

4 comments:

joan said...

luv this chapter of ur life....blessings 2 u & josh!!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet..he definitely sounds like a keeper!! I am so happy for you. I hope you have wonderful life together!!

Zimms Zoo said...

aww!!! What a sweet story! So happy for you both. Congrats on all these new chpaters of your life that are just beginning.

chris stephens said...

what a story to tell your kids someday!