Monday, July 7, 2008

Family

Hello! I have not been able to write in quite a while due to a hectic couple of weeks but I hope everyone had a great Independence Day this past week!
As me and my family usually do, we went to Texas for the 4th of July. We had a great time and although I did not really want to go in the beginning, I am glad I went.
I was able to meet three cousins that are all under a year and was able to spend time with other cousins, aunts, and uncles. Being the oldest cousin has both it's advantages and disadvantages. Now don't get me wrong because I absolutely love being the oldest cousin but along with being the oldest I realize the responsibility that I must carry. In being the oldest not only do you have to watch what you say or do, but you have to be open-minded. Never become too old or mature to where you cannot be a kid anymore. Examle: My older cousins wanted to go to the mall while we were there. They asked if I would take them and I said I would so I and 5 teenagers loaded up. We went to the mall that same day and spent a few hours there. I enjoyed it and liked watching how all the older kids interacted with eachother, especially my brother and Tyler, because they were only two boys. Driving back out to the ranch, I was tired, my mouth was sore, but my heart was pretty light.
The next day my younger cousins, Justin, who is 5, and Lee, who is 7, were playing in the living room floor with their cowboys, Indians, and Transformers. As I was sitting there watching them play Justin said,"Do you wanna play 'The West' with us?" Of course, it was not really a game, but rather the two boys playing in the floor with the toys. I got in the floor and began playing make-believe. The range of abilities as an older cousin should never be limited!
The youngest cousin now is only 4 months old. I took her outside the last night we were there and walked with her and whispered words to her until she fell asleep in my arms. As I was walking around with her I thought of the great age difference between us-18 years- then found it humorous because the oldest cousin/grandchild/neice was cradling the youngest cousin/grandchild/neice. I thanked God for allowing me to be the oldest; not because I get any special rewards or praise but simply because I can see things differently and look at things in a somewhat different light when it comes to my cousins.
My aunts gave me wisdom in their own special ways and my uncles...well, they just gave me a hard time. That's what they do best though.
My family can be chaotic, hectic, and sometimes out of sorts, but I would not have it any other way! Each person brings something to the family that somebody else does not and probably could not because only that one individual carries it. Even though they may sometimes give me a headache, I know they love me! That is what family is all about anyway, right? They are supposed to get on your nerves but beat up the first person that tries to tear you down. That is just how it goes. That is family!


Until next time,
ActionJacksontheAngloSaxon

No comments: